Hawkes Bay App | Nine new cases of Covid-19, all in managed isolation

Download the Hawkes Bay App for more stories like this.

Nine new cases of Covid-19, all in managed isolation

Nine new cases of Covid-19, all in managed isolation

Hawke's Bay App

Sunday, November 22, 2020 1:40 PM

News

There are nine new cases of Covid-19 in New Zealand today, all in recent returnees in managed isolation.

There are no new cases in the community, the Ministry of Health reported in a statement. 

There is one additional recovered case, meaning there are 50 active cases in the country.

The total number of confirmed cases is now 1,672.

A total of 6,504 tests were conducted yesterday, bringing the total number of tests completed to date to 1,230,901.

Today's cases among recent returnees come from eight countries.

"The varied origins of these cases is a clear reminder that as COVID-19 continues to batter countries and jurisdictions around the globe, mandatory isolation and testing will continue to be of critical importance as high numbers of New Zealanders return home before the holiday period," the ministry said. 

Of these recent returnees: 

  • One person arrived from France on November 17 and tested positive at around day three. They are now in the Auckland quarantine facility.
  • One person arrived from the Netherlands on November 17 and tested positive at around day three. They are now in the Auckland quarantine facility.
  • One person arrived from Dubai on November 17 and tested positive at around day three. They are now in the Auckland quarantine facility.
  • One person arrived from the United States on November 19 and tested positive at around day three. They are now in quarantine in Christchurch.
  • One person arrived from the United Kingdom on November 14 and tested positive following routine surveillance at around day seven. They are now in the Auckland quarantine facility.
  • Two people, who were travelling separately, arrived on the same flight from Bangladesh on November 10 and tested positive at around day 12. They are now in the Auckland quarantine facility.
  • One person arrived from Spain on November 16 and tested positive at around day three. They are now in the Auckland quarantine facility.
  • One person arrived from Italy on November 16 and tested positive at around day three. They are now in quarantine in Christchurch.

The ministry also reported that the sixth case in the Defence Force or November quarantine cluster reported yesterday had been genome sequenced, confirming a direct link to the cluster.

The case, known as 'Case F' has been isolating since November 7 as a close contact of Case B.

"This continued strong level of testing as well as the prompt identification, tracing, testing and isolation of close contacts provides continued reassurance that this cluster is contained at this stage," the ministry said.

The Ministry continues to encourage anyone who visited a location of interest during the relevant time period for the November cluster to get tested, to ensure they can quickly identify anyone who may have been infected.

"We have the best chance of staying ahead of COVID-19 if everyone who becomes unwell with cold or flu-like symptoms stays at home and seeks a test quickly, and all New Zealanders are keeping track of where they’ve been and who they’ve seen."

Contact Us

editor@hbapp.co.nz